Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LDO vs Non-LDO voltage regulators with high input

Status
Not open for further replies.

dksoba

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
LDO vs Non-LDO

I think I understand what the difference is for LDO vs non-LDO voltage regulators, which is than an LDO voltage regulator needs a smaller in vs out voltage difference. AKA a 5V LDO can regulate to 5V at 5.5V where a non-LDO would need 7V to regulate to 5V.

My question is, if you have a 24V power supply, and you need a 5V regulated supply, using a non-LDO will generate a lot of heat. If you use an LDO, will the power consumption be less?

Matt

Re: LDO vs Non-LDO

No, the dissipated power will be the same. From the formula for power: P=U.I , where U=24-5=19V in both cases, current is the same in both cases => P(power) will be the same. If you want to eliminate heat, try using step-down(buck) converter, for example LM2576.

Re: LDO vs Non-LDO

as long as it is a linear regulator ,
no difference in power consumption equation between an LDO and Non-LDO regs.

LDOs have an advantage of minimum input voltage requirement.

srizbf
1stmay2010

LDO vs Non-LDO

Yes,you'd better use a step-down convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.