Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Layout problem - common centroid techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monady

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Layout problem

Hi dear all friends,
i want to draw layout of comparator used in my ADC. this comparator must be so accurate thus i have to use of common centroid techniques. preamplifier used in my work consists of differential difference amplifier followed by regenerative cell. unfortunately i couldn't find any hints about laying out differential difference amplifier in any books. I would be appreciate if any body give me some help about this issue(with reference please).

Thx in advance

P.s.:i found some things in some dissertations but unfortunately they didn't use of any references.

Re: Layout problem

Monady said:
I would appreciate if any body give me some help about this issue
You can find a good summary on layout symmetry issues in Behzad Razavi's book "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits", Chap. 18, Sec. 18.2.2 Symmetry .

In your JPG, the layout geometry (d) is better than (e) because of better D1-D2 symmetry. Take care that its routing is equally symmetric and so doesn't deteriorate the total symmetry.

Thx for reply. i read some books about layout such as: [Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits(Razavi)], [CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation(Baker)], ......
but none of them explained any things about differential difference amplifiers (just simple differential pair transistors is described). i just want a reference in order for report in my thesis. i used of layout depicted in pic (d) but i want a well known reference for this geometry.

Monady said:
... none of them explained any things about differential difference amplifiers
I think a differential difference amplifier is nothing else than an instrumentation amplifier, s. e.g. here, p.3. And in the IEEE series you can find quite a few papers about this structure.

dear erikl, i know all things about differential difference amplifiers! i just want some references about laying this circuit out. Thx for references but i couldn't find any things about layout in "A Differential Op-Amp Circuit Collection".

Monady said:
... couldn't find any things about layout in "A Differential Op-Amp Circuit Collection".
Of course not, dear Monady! How can you expect to find a special report on layout of a differential difference amplifier? What, do you think, would be so special for it? The one and only criterion on layout is the necessary symmetry accuracy of its accuracy-responsible structures, totally independent of the circuit function itself.

Monady

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back