Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lathe motor capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal123

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, guys,!

I'm working on refurbishing an old Pools 4" special lathe; the motor is a Brooks Crompton (I could just about make out the tag), but I have no idea what the specs are because the sticker is faded... It is inscribed with the number MH097849.

I need a start capacitor but have no idea what uf rating to use...any suggestions?

The motor is a single-phase 240v single phase motor.

The motor hums when the power is turned on, but I had to rotate the pulley on the lathe to get it going. I suppose I need a combination start/run capacitor because there is only room for one (I have the cap cover and two spade end wires are coming out of the motor).

Thanks!

[moderator action: removed hidden advertisement klink]

Last edited by a moderator:

For a rough estimation of run capacitor size, you should have an estimation of motor power respectively operating current. You can measure the current after you managed to start the motor. Or post a photo with dimensions, it might fit an industry standard motor form factor.

It's much likely a permanent-split capacitor motor. Start capacitors need a dedicated start relays or centrifugal switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back