Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laser sensor OR infrared for distance measurement <50cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcwee65

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey,

I need to measure distance <50 cm from a wall... I have been using infrared sensors but they give me a number of reading which are no accurate to the distance.

I have a small amount of knowledge about making circuit boards basically how to solder.

I need to be able to make a circuit with a laser which can measure distance to the wall which is less than <50 cm.

I have done some research and been to my local shop and they asked me to come with a circuit diagram.

Can anybody recommend any sensor which I can use?

Thanks

Re: laser sensor OR infrared for distance measurement <50

What accuracy do you need? The IR-sensors from Sharp are pretty accurate and have a range of 10-80cm. Example **broken link removed**.
Other possibility is using a laser + webcam, e.g. here. But this is in fact exact the same principle as used in the Sharp sensors, so accuracy will not be better.

For higher accuracy, you can do a phase-shift measurement of the reflected laser beam. For this, you need a fast photodiode and fast analog hardware. Not so easy!

Re: laser sensor OR infrared for distance measurement <50

hey why dont u use a tsop based sensor

Generally for measuring distance, ultrasonic technique works well...Cheers

Morning mcwee65,
Can you apply some (retro) reflector on your target pls?
K.

Hi mcwee65,
How is your progress pls?
You can have the semiconductor Laser, what you buyd, but you need a positions sensitive detector (i.e. a Photoresistor) to that...
What kind of precision you need?
K.

hi!!!!!!!!
here is the nice tutorial for **broken link removed**
hope this might be useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back