Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laser diode lens assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayanthyk192

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a 250mW laser diode in TO-CAN package.it does not include a lens assembly.so is there any standard lens assembly that fits onto all packages of any intensity and gives out a parallel beam?

thank you.

All lasers I know about, emit a very narrow beam. The dot diameter is barely measurable.

The angle of divergence is so slight that it might as well be called a parallel beam.

You can put it through lenses and it will still be a tiny dot.

Do you want to widen the laser beam to illuminate a measurable area? Not sure it's possible. You can try some tiny lenses with a tiny focal length. Even try a drop of water, just as to experiment.

Semiconductor lasers do NOT emit a narrow beam - they are quite divergent, more so in one plane than the other. With suitable optics they can be focussed to a small, parallel beam. I assume you are thinking of a laser with optics, not the device itself.

There isn't 'one' lens to suit all lasers but as they have similar characteristics there will be a few choices. Have a look at Edmund Optics maybe.

Keith

Semiconductor lasers do NOT emit a narrow beam - they are quite divergent, more so in one plane than the other. With suitable optics they can be focussed to a small, parallel beam. I assume you are thinking of a laser with optics, not the device itself.

There isn't 'one' lens to suit all lasers but as they have similar characteristics there will be a few choices. Have a look at Edmund Optics maybe.

Keith

i had a look at edmund optics web,but i could'nt get what i wanted or i did'nt know what category it should be searched under.i found this diode on ebay having To18 package.

**broken link removed**

so what would be the lens type or name that i can use to focus is into the best possible beam(highest intensity)

All my laser experience is with a handheld laser pointer. (Aka 'cat toy'.)

Beam is a tiny red pinpoint. Even to the end of a long hallway.

Just a few dollars.

All my laser experience is with a handheld laser pointer. (Aka 'cat toy'.)

Beam is a tiny red pinpoint. Even to the end of a long hallway.

Just a few dollars.
Even I have played with it.It comes with a laser assembly built in.

Something like one of these maybe:

Keith

They only provide the lens,all other assembly has to be done by myself.is there any other assemby that can be used directly for a given package type and wavelength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back