Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Diode Driver IC with analog mod. up to 2Ghz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafael2323

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've been searching for a while on the Web but all
manufacturers(Analog,Texas,Maxim,...) offer only digital modulation solutions or
low freq(tens of Khz) analog modulation.
Does anyone know a LD Driver IC with analog modulation capability up
to 2Ghz ?
I want to assembly an small demo board on FR4 with some TO-can Laser
diodes but I dont find any solution to provide a high freq analog
modulation.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Rafael

Hi Rafael2323,

I was looking the same as you, but for lower frequencies (arround 100MHz), I have found the IC AD9660, which is specified up to 25 MHz
analog modulation. It's far from 2GHz you need but at least is a start. I think there are not much IC drivers for analog modulation, maybe you can do it yourself using some RF transistor configuration.

In my case I didn't used the AD9660, I did a simple LED modulator with one transistor up to 20 MHz insted, and works correctly. I'm going to test it with a laser diode. But I might consider some improvement using the laser diode's PD monitor as well. There are some example circuits on the internet.

Best regards,
Horacio

One possibility is to use a steady state laser driver to set the average power and 'pull' extra current in/out of the laser with a resistor, driving it up & down the steep part of the current/light curve.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.