Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large-Signal Transfer Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngox

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there some way to obtain a 'large-signal transfer function' for an amplifier? I'm designing a broadband amplifier and when I look at the transient waveform, there is a significant amount of overshoot and ringing, yet the small-signal analysis results in a monotonic low-pass transfer function. To obtain the large-signal performance, thus far I've just been running transient sim with sine wave input of different frequencies and looking at the output amplitude... which is a rather tedious process. Are there any built in tools in Cadence Virtuoso that can do this automatically?

By nature of "large signal" response, you get potentially different behavior for different signal waveform and magnitude. Therefore it's usual to test large signal behavior with waveforms similar to the actual amplifier application.

Large signal operation - in contrast to small-signal operation - is connected with distortions (deviations from the sinusoidal waveform).
That means: Input and output waveforms are different. Therefore, it is a bit "problematic" to define something like a "transfer function".
More than that, these distortions depend on the amplitudes of the "large signals".

Thanks for the responses. The input amplitude is relatively well defined, so I have been using that to prime the input in test bench.

That means: Input and output waveforms are different. Therefore, it is a bit "problematic" to define something like a "transfer function".
Agreed. A plausible definition would be gain of the fundamental wave, that's how RF power amplifiers are usually specified. You find large signal gain curves e.g. in OP datasheets as the below shown THS3001 specification, I assume the OP wants something similar.

Large signal.png

I would do a simulation in a SPICE tool with parametric sweep and measurement functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back