Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

large R value with polysilicon resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taofeng

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
polysilicon resistor contact contact resistance

hi,
Want to know which is a better way to implement a large value R (about 400K ohms) ? with one large size R or put a lot of small r in series ?

regards,

jeffrey

It depends on the accuracy you need. It you have a lot of small resistors in series, the contact resistance might become a big contributor in the total resistance.

If you layout only one big resistor, the absolute error will be dominated from process variability. Of course, if you have a lot of smaller resistors in series, the contact resistances come into play as well. For high poly option is the contact resistance even higher.

i think , some r in series will be better, it is easy to layout.

taofeng said:
hi,
Want to know which is a better way to implement a large value R (about 400K ohms) ? with one large size R or put a lot of small r in series ?

regards,

jeffrey

I think it is better to put them in series.

And usually, we layout the large value resistor to a square.

You shouldn't use a very small resistor segment, but I expect your poly is about 2k per square. So make 20 resistors of 20k each. One example would be 40 micron length and 2 micron width if you want fairly accurate resistors. Or shrink it to the minimum width if you just want a divider and don't care about absolute value.

Usually, resistors are laid out with segments of smaller resistors in series. I would think this gives a more accurate result

poly resistors usually can not reach very big value, in our process, it is only ~20ohms/square, I am not sure what kind of process as electronrancher mentioned can achieve 2k/square poly resistance.
in our design, once we want big resistor, we use N-well resistor, not so accurate as poly resistor, but it has 1k~2kohm per square. check with your process information to see if you have that component available.

mdcui said:
poly resistors usually can not reach very big value, in our process, it is only ~20ohms/square, I am not sure what kind of process as electronrancher mentioned can achieve 2k/square poly resistance.
There are processes with high resistance poly resistors (2k/square, 1k/square). They are non-silicided, so they have higher resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back