Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large netlist simulation using Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

advaitha

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to simulate a large (>100K elements) post-layout parasitc netlist. The only tool available to me is Cadence Spectre. The system being used has 8GB RAM and runs on 2 Xeon processors at 2.7GHz each. The OS is Redhat Linux 8.0. The System monitor shows that the Spectre process uses only upto a little more than 3GB of RAM and then returns the error 'Insufficient memory'.
Can anyone suggest a method to eliminate this error and finish the simulation?

Starting with 6.0 the netlist read speed and also the capacity is improved. We encounter the same issue with 5.1.x

advaitha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I also have this problem before, Sometime the RC extraction really extract a large number parasitic components, some small component has little effect on the design, set up the options for RCX to reduce the number pf RC devices, e.g. give a long length for capacitance extraction. Or you can split the final design into small blocks to perform simulation.

advaitha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Can the 'distributed processing' option in Spectre be used to solve this problem?

why not omit the small R and C?

I have tried to simulate with R & C only on selected nets. Even then the netlist can't be simulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back