Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop internal sd-card-reader.....possible upgrade/mod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider36

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have an MSI GE65 RAIDER 9SF laptop

Amazing laptop with 1 x sata 3 + 2 x pcie 3 slots, but all that's letting it down in my opinion is the slow sd card reader. Of course i can use a bulky external sd card device which i have, but I'd rather not as it blocks use of other usb ports as they're very close together.

The laptops internal sd card reader is slow and MSI have confirmed its a usb 2.0 interface. I'm a newbie, but I have some knowledge of how things might work.

So basically.........2 x usb type A 3.2 gen 1 ports and an usb 2.0 sd card reader.......This is all on a small seperate circuit board attached to the mother board by ribbon cable. Please see attached images.

Is it possible to replace only the sd card reader part with a higher rated part and have this soldered onto the exsisting seperate board.......for e.g uhs-II sd card reader with faster speeds.

I'm definitely not going to attempt to mod my current board but maybe purchase a spare board and tinker if its even possible.......It's got to be, right ?

kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_205652.jpg
    IMG_20210311_205652.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20210311_205701.jpg
    IMG_20210311_205701.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20210311_205706.jpg
    IMG_20210311_205706.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20210311_205723.jpg
    IMG_20210311_205723.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20210311_205742.jpg
    IMG_20210311_205742.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 242

The laptop is probably reading the SD cards at the correct speed, (25 MHz) the eternal SD card readers read the SD cards at 50 MHz even if the card does not support this speed. This works in the majority of cases but it is not guaranteed. So basically the external SD card readers exceed the SD card specification and the laptop reads at the correct speed.

Hi,

And installing a hardware that is designed for faster speed does not mean the interface to work faster.

Imagine:
If you install tyres designed for faster speed on your car ... does not make the car faster.

Klaus

Imagine:
If you install tyres designed for faster speed on your car ... does not make the car faster.

Klaus
Hey Klaus, you install lower profile tires on your existing wheels and then you do go faster....(at least that's what those who do so think)

The laptop is probably reading the SD cards at the correct speed, (25 MHz) the eternal SD card readers read the SD cards at 50 MHz even if the card does not support this speed. This works in the majority of cases but it is not guaranteed. So basically the external SD card readers exceed the SD card specification and the laptop reads at the correct speed.
I get what you're trying to say, I just wasn't happy with the usb 2.0 speeds of the laptop and wondered if it was possible to mod.
I'll stick with the external reader i have.
Thank you for your input.

Hi,

And installing a hardware that is designed for faster speed does not mean the interface to work faster.

Imagine:

Klaus
Totally agree with you, I didn't think too much on the subject before i asked the question.

Fun fact: Square tyre's make your car go slower...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back