Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop configuration to run advanced simulation on HFSS14.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumer19

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have dell i3 3GB RAM integrated graphics (no separate GPU). When i do parametric analysis, optimization of my design (which is big and complex) then my laptop hangs or give results after several attempts and delay. Now hanging and delay is becoming normal which irritates and slow down my work speed. I also have softwares like MATLAB, ADS and CST ( now i am forced to uninstall these software due to hanging problem)
I am planning to buy a better or best simulation machine for my work. my budget is around 90000 rupees ($1300).
Please suggest some configuration or model for my work in today's scenario.
Will apple macbook air or macbook pro 128 GB is good for this? I don't know whether their GPU is good for simulations.

Which most important parameter in a system cannot be ignored considering simulation of HFSS?:???:

thank you..

When i do parametric analysis, optimization of my design (which is big and complex) then my laptop hangs or give results after several attempts and delay. Now hanging and delay is becoming normal which irritates and slow down my work speed...

You need to update the OS to the most recent; if you have installed some software but they are not not running, they are having little effect. The "hanging" is due to faulty OS (need updates) "OR" malwares or virus (install a recent anti virus). If it is getting slow in response, stop the anti virus while working. Scan for anti virus every time you start the computer.

Better the machine is better for the simulation but there are also few other ways. I mean if simulation is not setup properly then no matter what sort of machine you will have it will hang or slow down. What so ever you have written it seems you have not explored your model yet. Like what you mean when you say your model is big and complex as HFSS or CST are based of FEM so what matters the most is mesh means discritization of model which affects both the accuracy as well as the performance. Sometimes you need not to overkill the mesh as no doubt proper mesh is directly related to accuracy but proper never means more denser mesh so one way to work around this problem is spending little more time with mesh means try to define more denser mesh in important areas or bends while keeping it relaxed for large volumes but with simple shapes. Relax a bit accuracy criterion may be you are just over killing the simulation. Another important point is that HFSS always give you warning and terminate the solution if RAM limit is reached you have not mentioned this sort of problem. Keep an eye on resource usage during the simulation.
Go for better machine but I would say explore a bit about your simulation and see if it is machine which is real issue or there are other ways to work around this problem as this will help you to get better insight of working of your simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back