Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop clock slow down

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone!

My laptop clock is gradually slowing down .

i have set it several times but the problem persists.

Clean heatsink of cpu inside. System trying to cooldown with slowing down speed and power consuption of cpu to keep the processor in life.

Check system on the presence of trojans and worms with some decent full version of antivirus software.

Do you mean the clock that tells the time? (rather than the system speed)

If so, is it just running continually slowly, so that the time gradually falls behind what it should be?

It is normal for the RTCs (Real Time Clocks) on PCs to be inaccurate. If this is what is troubling you, set the PC to update time daily from an internet timeserver. In Windows, open the time/date box and click the Internet Time tab. Use a server like time.windows.com, or search google for time servers near you.

Yes I mean the clock that tells time and date.

I have been using the laptop from 2 years but not i am facing this problem.

Earlier while I was using a desktop i faced similar problem which got fixed after replacing BIOS battery.
I have no info whether there is similar BIOS battery on a laptop motherboard also?

BIOS eeprom and battery dont have nothing with clock (time and date) accuracy.

What difference you notice in minutes or hours ?

Manish, you are absolutely right. Clocks (RTCs) in desktop *and* notebooks have a small coin cell to keep the time when there is no power. You can confirm this by removing the main battery in a working laptop; it would still maintain correct time.

What usually happens is when this battery falls under a certain level, it cannot keep the RTC running by itself, but it would retain the last time as when power was switched off. Therefore, the next time you switch on the laptop, it looks like it has 'lost' time.

The solution, of course, is to replace it. Unfortunately, on a notebook it could be as simple as opening one of the bay covers at the bottom, or having to open the entire thing.

If the battery is not very accessible, go with Rick's solution of synchronizing your laptop with a time server, say every hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back