Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop battery wrong percentage shown-how to calibrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

geotFM

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.I have a problem with my laptop .i am running windows 10 and it shows wrong percentage of battery power.From 100%to 9% it takes around half an hour and then it stays stucked at 9% for about 3 hours and from 9% until 2% another hour.Then it powers off.How can i calibrate the percentage to be correct.?

Also the design capacity of the battery is shown to be 72Wh but fully charged capacity is shown to be only 17Wh.

What I have read, says to disable all the shutdowns and
let the PC deplete the battery to zero, where it turns off
because it must, and then charge it up. But seems like
you've been down that road already.

You may have a pack with one bad cell which runs down
somewhat, quick and then hangs on with the rest of the
cells delivering but the BMS "thinks" it's deeply discharged
when only one cell is.

Up to peeling off the plastic and measuring individual cell
voltages? Probably not going back together neatly....

I have already teared down the plastic and measured individual cells at different times.when fully charged,when laptop shuts down, and at middle.all voltages are equal and as expected.

when fully charged each cell is at 4.12V, when fully discharged is at 2.78V and at a middle state all voltages are equal again.I dont think that the problem has to do with the cells,they are ok since laptop lasts at around 5+ hours.

furthermore looking at battery voltage in realtime using aida64 software the indications are normal except for design capacity of the battery is shown to be 72Wh but fully charged capacity is shown to be only 17Wh.

Last edited:

furthermore looking at battery voltage in realtime using aida64 software the indications are normal except for design capacity of the battery is shown to be 72Wh but fully charged capacity is shown to be only 17Wh.
Suggests that the basic problem is an exhausted battery. The battery monitoring system is apparently not designed to show the relative battery capacity in this situation.

How long are you using this battery? I also faced same kind of issues. The problem was I had been using this one for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.