Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigendian

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
i am using Linux debian sid on a HP gaming laptop (15-ak102nl (ENERGY STAR))

On this pc, Linux is not managing properly the power off.

Sometimes, after

Code:
shutdown -h now

laptop powers off, but without power cord, it happened some time, to power it up after some days, and battery was dead, as if there was consumption with pc powered off. Once recharged it was back working, but i guess it was not good for the battery.

I found out that exiting by "halt" and pressing power button for 5 seconds, it was properly powered off.

Now, from some days, i have a new battery, upgraded kernel and bios to last available versions, and would investigate further on this.

Question is: how to test if there is consumption on power off ? After some days, should i find the battery at same level, right ?

Every help appreciated.

Thanks
Regards
angelo

You can use '-p' instead of '-h' but it shouldn't start up by itself anyway. I doubt anything in Linux is doing it, more likely you have the BIOS clock set to start at a particular time or some other trigger to turn it on again, for example a keypress or 'wake on LAN'.

There is no easy way to tell if current is being drawn from the battery, it requires breaking the battery connection to wire an ammeter in line with it.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

thanks a lot.
I verified at least in Linux that wake on lan is disabled, and seems it is (Wake-on state for the wired interface is "d").

I maybe could try ... starting from 100%, to keep battery disconnected 1 day, and check if it's still near to 100%, that the same 1-day test with PC off and battery connected. What do you think ?

Some BIOS have the option to keep delivering energy on USB slots, which could sink some energy from battery even don't having anything plugged there. I think there is no general answer to this question, it is necessary to investigate deeper you hardware/BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back