Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LabView Pre-requisites...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbla

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are the pre-requisites to learning Labview?

What is a good place to start?

bimbla.

Is knowledge of any programming language needed or is it a graphical programming tool?

bimbla.

No, you do not need to be fluent in any other programming language. For basic and midium advanced projects knowledge of LabVIEW is enough.
I am noy sure if NI still offers evaluation version for students..
Lerning LabVIEW from a book only ( I hate it..) is not as efficient as having access to computer and just lern and play..

The core technology is same as C. The difference is the approach. GUI is very powerfull and hardware interfacing is easy.

i'm also labview newbie, and found it quite uncomfortable with this visual programming approach as compared to the traditional coding....
it's quite hard to build big programs rite?

It takes minutes to learn but a lifetime to master.

NI sells labview as a easy to learn programing tool that makes anyone a programmer. I think that many "selling points" is taken when the show the code for the boss. Thera are a lot of strings and boxes and all is realy colorful, anyone have read the comic strip Dillbert?.

In the end it is as hard as doing any programming, let it be in java C or VB. In the end its all about structure and understanding how to solve a problem with a computer.

For quick and dirty lab setups its great. You can learn that quicker than if you wuld do it in C and there are a lot of useful controlls as graphs and charts.

I have built several big/huge test systems in LV and I like it for some tasks but you can strugle for days trying to do minutes of C code.

I would say try it, if nothng else its a great experience.

re Me

LV is a really good tool for beginner/intermediate projects ... but i encountered severe restrictions while trying to acquire and process real time data through the serial port .... i was running LV over a Windows2000 platform ... i think it was due to the round-robin scheduling algorithm of MS Windows ... but it may be due to the limitations in Labview itself ...

Learning Labview

I’m a Labview user and find it a lot easier to use than conventional programming methods for me. Being a graphical language makes it more like doing electronic circuit design work than programming. If you can draw circuit diagrams and can work with flow diagrams and function blocks which are like go-sub routines then you can use Labview. It still takes a lot of effort to become truly proficient with Labview but once you do you will find that you can use it for pretty much any kind of data gathering and handling job that you can dream up. This includes complete remote control capabilities. Labview compiled programs are reported to have about the same speed as C code.

I had also encountered some problems with using the serial ports on occasions but these problems have always been traced to coding problems that I introduced. Once these problems were resolved there were no more problems with using the computers serial ports using Labview 6.1, 7.0 and 7.1. I have no experience on older versions.

When serious serial port work has to be done a network connection to terminal communication servers are used with allow many multiples of serial devices to be controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back