Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L\eonard0 Spec\trum For ASIC Synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

eda_wiz

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
how good is leonardo Spectrum for ASIC Synthesis. I am getting Huge gatecount for a small Logic in spectrum :(
helppp

tnx

I haven't experience with LS but every time that I have used it I had problems.

The solution can be to use a serious synthesis tool :)

2003a_RC_9 seems to be (pre-)released.
but can't use lic for 2002e.

is it powerful than DC when synthesis?

maybe it it quick then DC,but how is it effect?

dspusr said:
2003a_RC_9 seems to be (pre-)released.
but can't use lic for 2002e.

A link please?

This gate count are always confusing.
Different tool has different criteria.

I have used Leonardo Spectrum now for a year and half for developing for Altera ACEX1K50. I would say, the tool is useful; some features are god others so-and-so. In my particular configuration I used MAX II Plus for the physical layout, while the source code was VHDL. The combination Leonardo and MAX made me to loose track of the physical elements<->VHDL source code completely, so floor planning was a nightmare. I had no problem with space, but speed was a issue, so manual optimization was needed.

In the end I converted to use Quartus II 2.2, and its native VHDL compiler. Now I can see the connection between VHDL and the floor plan much better. Of course, Quartus has a much better "timing closure" floorplanning functionality than MAX II Plus anyway.

What I miss from Leonardo is the "generated schematics" stuff, which I used for block-schematics level documentation. Generated logic however was not that good and the grazy node and net names generated by Leonardo->edif file->MAX was the biggest curse. Somewhat inefficient code generation was not fun either. There the difference was not that big, however.

I would not compare Leonardo against any other system, because the only VHDL -> FPGA compilers I have used are the above mentioned ones. And I decided to get rid of Leonardo Spectrum in favor of Quartus II 2.2

And I had FPGA, not an ASIC as my target. But, I guess, some of the wonderful synthesizing grazyness is valid for Leonardo in all instances. In several cases the logic wasn't pretty ! But my technology dependent libraries were not equal to yours, so the wild gate count might have some connection to the library implementations, too.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back