Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Knowing the dominant poles of a small circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilly

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, do anyone know how to read the dominant poles by eye sight? I heard some experience designers know how to view the poles just at a glance of the circuit. Any place or book teach this method or at least some guide line on how to look at the dominant poles. This can give a designer a quick overview of the circuit before running a simulation. Thanks in advance.

I know for amps, you have to look for Miller capacitance (C) accross which there is the largest gain, then very often the dominant pole is 1/(A*C*R), A and R are the gain and resistance accross C, assuming A is large. For a common source, C is Cgd, for a two-stage op-amp, C is between the outputs of the two stages. I hope this helps.

reilly

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
for each capacitance, find the resistance associate with it. The largest value of C*R is the dominant pole.

in the equivalent circuit, let Vin=0, find the frequency points at which Vout !=0. the dominant pole is the minimum one.

reilly

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
reilly said:
Hi, do anyone know how to read the dominant poles by eye sight? I heard some experience designers know how to view the poles just at a glance of the circuit. Any place or book teach this method or at least some guide line on how to look at the dominant poles. This can give a designer a quick overview of the circuit before running a simulation. Thanks in advance.

The best way to find dominat pole in a circuit is to find the most high impedance node in the circuit, because pole frequency is f=1/RC. As R is higher, the pole
frequency is lower.

find the most high impedance, and find the most the big cap about the net, f=1/RC, is the dominant poles

the node having the largest product of resistance and capacitance seen from the node to ground will be the dominant pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back