Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KiCAD PCBnew Microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

blambrec

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am a relatively new user of the KiCAD suite for Linux, and I could really use some references to get me started. There seems to be a lot on general schematic-to-PCB procedures, but I am specifically interested in the microwave design tools. I am involved in a project where we will need some gerber files of our previously simulated designs to submit to a PCB fab, and I would like to give PCBnew a try.

I have tried playing around with the tools a bit, but get pop-ups like "Shape has a null size!" - Do I have the software installed incorrectly? Have I not set up the necessary environment?

Many thanks!

but I am specifically interested in the microwave design tools.
PUFF is the name of a computer aided design program for microwave circuits, developed at the California Institute of Technology. It allows one to easily edit a circuit and calculate and plot the circuit's scattering parameters. It was originally created under MS-DOS in the 1980s and 1990s, and distributed for a modest fee together with a manual and sourcecode. Since late 2000, this web page contained information on how to compile it under Linux.
**broken link removed**

It allows one to easily edit a circuit and calculate and plot the circuit's scattering parameters.

Thanks yura717 for your quick reply! I'd stumbled across this before, but was unsure... Can PUFF create files to be sent to the PCB manufacturer, or is it primarily for simulation and testing? I couldn't find too much detail on this application either...

The Gerber format is a file format used by printed circuit board (PCB) industry software to describe the images of a printed circuit board (copper layers, solder mask, legend, drill holes, etc.). The Gerber format is the de facto industry standard for printed circuit board image transfer

So can PUFF generate these files? I would like to send industry standard files to a manufacturer to develop our boards.

Thanks!

Do you want professional Microwave CAD for free? If you want to use free software than you need to use 2 - 3 programs to get same results if you will be using professional CAD. You can download Puff manual .... and see what its does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back