Status
Not open for further replies.

bad92620

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project that requires me to use a 3x4 keypad to put a number on a 7-segment display. I am trying to figure out what chips i need to use to be able to press a number on the keypad and have that number locked in and be able to press other numbers with out it changing the numbers until i reset the circuit. I believe i need an encoder, 4bit register, and decoder between the keypad and the 7-segment display but dont know which ones to use. Can anyone help me please?

Last edited:

There are many approaches here.

If you are using a matrix keypad (such as found on a telephone), one is to use a 74HC922. It has a "data available" output that could be latched through an external gate/FF and reset circuitry, to implement the lockout feature you desire. A BCD to 7-segment decoder chip is necessary to provide your display.

dj

thanks but what is the 4 bit register that is needed to lock the number on the 7-segment display.

There are display driver ICs that include key scanning capability. The ones in this chart are for LEDs: **broken link removed**.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…