Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Junction-Diode Switching Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

amisin

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone please elaborate about the processes taking place when we turn OFF a diode from ON condition.
I want know about the effects of reverse biasing a diode suddenly (from forward biased condition), on voltage, charge along the time.
Thanks in advance.

@DoctorProf: I could not find anything helpful on that link, can you please be specific, about your link. I wished to know about the process occurring while we change the biasing of a diode suddenly from forward to reverse.

The missing link is apparently the usage of step-recovery-diodes in the said pulse generators. The effect that is utilized in SRD can be observed with all PN diodes to some extent. It's caused by stored charge carriers that are delaying the diode turn-off. When the carriers are depleted (applying a sufficient high reverse current), the voltage across the diode rises abruptly from forward to reverse state.

Step recovery diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.hp.woodshot.com/hprfhelp/5_downld/lit/diodelit/an918.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.