Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Juggling two USB devices with one USB host (MAX3421E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eecsninja

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, new member here.

I designed a circuit that has a USB port connected to a MAX3421E host, which has only one port. I'm wondering if I can multiplex two or more USB devices on one such host by tri-stating their power and ground rails using a microcontroller's GPIOs. I.e. only one USB device will have power and ground connected at a time.

Hi everyone, new member here.

I designed a circuit that has a USB port connected to a MAX3421E host, which has only one port. I'm wondering if I can multiplex two or more USB devices on one such host by tri-stating their power and ground rails using a microcontroller's GPIOs. I.e. only one USB device will have power and ground connected at a time.

Physically you can connect extra devices via tri-state power switches, but the problem will arise with the enumeration of a device after the power is applied to it.
Is the host “smart” enough to detect and enumerate your added devices (one at a time)?
:wink:
IanP

I think there might be some problems with this. I believe the USB host will query USB devices from time to time to check if they are working properly (I haven't double checked this)

I would suggest using a USB hub chip like this one https://www.ti.com/product/tusb2036
I used it a couple of years ago in a project and it was really simple to get working.

Cheers!
Oyvind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back