Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JTAG, Keil uVision4, LPC2103

Status
Not open for further replies.

edygun

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Now I am working with NXP LPC2103 ARM7TDMI and Keil uVision4 compiler. I need to do debugging on my own board, I have tried using ISP (RS232 port) to program the flash memory, it works. But I need to do more, single-stepping and evaluating variables. I think I need a JTAG.

I have EPI-MAJIC and also Atmel SAM-ICE JTAGs here, but I am not sure whether I can use those JTAG tools. What do you think?
Is it possible to use the JTAG with OpenOCD + GDB?

Do you know the other alternatives?

How about the JTAG from Keil?
ULINK2 Debug Adapter or ULINKpro Debug and Trace Unit ?

I am located in Indonesia. How can I obtain the tool as soon as possible? Are they available in Singapore or even Indonesia?
Do you have any vendor/reseller recommendation?

Thank you very much!

You can contact keil.com....they have branches where they can ship you the requirement...
they have branches in indonesia and singapore

Reactions: edygun

edygun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for the quick response.

While waiting for the Keil stuff coming:
(1) is there any possibility to use the EPI-MAJIC or SAM-ICE JTAGs or a simple home-made JTAG?

(2) How about using the IAP (in-application programming) feature in the LPC21xx device? To run the test app in RAM for easier update during code development?

(3) How about the Embedded-ICE debug feature built-in the LPC21xx devices? Is there anyone who has experience in using this feature yet?

Thank you.

Hi,
you said you are using uVision4. This tool has an excellent simulator for the LPC2103 implemented. You can use trace functionality because everything runs in SRAM and is simulated.
SAM-ICE is a Segger J-Link dedicated to Atmel devices. U-Link is from Keil and works with Keil only. If you can get a regular J-Link, that works with Keil, IAR, GNU....
Just a few terms to give you something to Google.

hth, Bob

Thank you Bob. Yes, it helps as this is the first time I use Keil and LPC21xx device. I am familiar with IAR and have used GNU tools sometimes.

I am testing and debugging the I2C and SPI communication to peripheral devices (secure memory and RFID reader), so hardware emulation is needed.

I downloaded the software package from SEGGER Microcontroller - Embedded Software Solutions - Download and can connect to the LPC2103. I can read the ARM register content, but cannot read/write to memory. The error message is as you indicated:
****** Error: SAM-ICE can only be used with ATMEL devices
Could not read memory.

I am still trying to find any other PC application that can access the LPC21xx device through the SAM-ICE JTAG.
devkitPro, OpenOCD, Yagarto, . . .

Any more suggestion would be appreciated . . . Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back