Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jointing underground solid core twisted pair cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to run Rs485 over a moderate distance, I've done this before using twisted pair solid core as I can get a good price.
Last time I welded the wires, first twisting them then melting the end into a blob with oxy acetylene, then stuffing the joint into a potting box with epoxy.
I dont have the gas to weld them anymore, I see telecomms engineers use crimp terminals, is this the way to go?

if Telecom engineers do it, why shouldn’t you? I would just be concerned about corrosion and impedance mismatch.

Hi,

Why welding? In electronics we use soldering.

A shrink tube, or shrink tube with hot melt glue inside to protect it against corrosion.

There are special crimps for underground joining.
Good crimps with high force generate a oxygen free cold welded joint.
There are also mor simple crimps that have grease inside to protect the joint against humidity.

I guess an internet search gives many fast and good results.

Klaus

Cos I have oxy acetylene on my van, not much more difficult than a gas solder iron to get out.

OK I'll see if I can get some of those crimps.
I think I've seen thos terminals with the sticky goop inside.

Hi,

Why welding? In electronics we use soldering.

A shrink tube, or shrink tube with hot melt glue inside to protect it against corrosion.

There are special crimps for underground joining.
Good crimps with high force generate a oxygen free cold welded joint.
There are also mor simple crimps that have grease inside to protect the joint against humidity.

I guess an internet search gives many fast and good results.

Klaus
we use soldering rather than welding because of thin wire flexible metal like silver wire, welding can damage the copper circuit.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.