Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Joining synthesized sub-mods at the top level

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmonutt

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi!

could anyone send me an example synthesis script for a bottom-up synthesis. at the top level i just need to join in the already synthesized sub-mods.
vot all do i need to specify at the top level??

thanks!!

Re: more abt synthesis

cosmonutt said:
hi!

could anyone send me an example synthesis script for a bottom-up synthesis. at the top level i just need to join in the already synthesized sub-mods.
vot all do i need to specify at the top level??

thanks!!

Hi
Just read in the top file with the submods instantiated in it and the rest of the flow would be common to all flows. One thing to take care of is set the current design after reading your files in any order.

read_verilog <filename> <filename> <filename> <filename>
set current_design <top module name>
link
check_design
check_timing
compile

cosmonutt

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: more abt synthesis & blackboxing

thanks!

does that mean that i dont need to give any timing constraints at the top level. ..
i did vot u had written. and i got no timing violations reported, whereas, a no. of the submodules had timing violations at the time of synthesis.. i was just wondering , shouldn the timing violations appear at the top level as well??

also,

how do i black box a sub module so that its design is not read etc, so that the tool doesn issue warnings( cos i have a submod whose design i do not have). is making a dummy module (with only interface) equivalent to creating a black box (not exactly bu t in essence??)??

thanks again!

Re: more abt synthesis & blackboxing

Hi
No, you should give timing constraints at the top level. Using a dummy module is a good idea to black box a module.

Thanks
Prasad.

but i did give timing constraints at the top level! and still got no violations.. thats why im not sure if my designs were linked properly..

also, it would help if u could me vot is the usual way to black box a module..

I did not find any other commands specially used for black boxing a module like the commands you find in LEC. I have also come across people using a dummy interface only when they do not have the RTL or a model for a particular module

oh ok. thanks!

another question that has been unanswered for quite a while now is
do u know vot this warning means??
module "xyz" was not elaborated because it has the template attribute. it was saved as a template instead.
??

The warning could be because that module is a library macro or a model and not RTL actually which cannot be elaborated.

I cannot tell you for sure though!!

okk. thanks tons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back