Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JDM programming help, PIC10F200

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepenguin77

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to program my first pic, when I put my pic in the programmer, it's as if it's not even there.

JDM programmer
PIC10F200 (bad choice, I know that now)

I have tried IC-Prog, but that doesn't have support PIC10F, both WinPic800 and PicPgm turn up errors when I have the pic in the programmer.

I have spent at least 6 hrs working on this so far. Both of the programs can detect the JDM with no pic installed, but the moment I put it on, the JDM basically functions as if it's not even there. What I mean by not even there is that on reading I get the same data, and writing I get the same error as if it were not even plugged in.

I have checked the pins for voltage using the WinPic800 test mode. Between 1 and 8 there is 5.1v and between 4 and 8 there is 12.99v.

On further investigation while writing this post, it appears that the voltages on the JDM do not match up with what the pic wants.

This is the programming fact sheet: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41228E.pdf The voltage needs are on the first page.

Any ideas?

edit:

ok I was right. The PIC10F200 does not use standard pin placements. I rewired a breadboard to it and it worked! (lots of running around in excitement).

I guess now this thread will help some other poor soul in the future.

I am trying to program my first pic, when I put my pic in the programmer, it's as if it's not even there.

JDM programmer
PIC10F200 (bad choice, I know that now)

I have tried IC-Prog, but that doesn't have support PIC10F, both WinPic800 and PicPgm turn up errors when I have the pic in the programmer.

I have spent at least 6 hrs working on this so far. Both of the programs can detect the JDM with no pic installed, but the moment I put it on, the JDM basically functions as if it's not even there. What I mean by not even there is that on reading I get the same data, and writing I get the same error as if it were not even plugged in.

I have checked the pins for voltage using the WinPic800 test mode. Between 1 and 8 there is 5.1v and between 4 and 8 there is 12.99v.

On further investigation while writing this post, it appears that the voltages on the JDM do not match up with what the pic wants.

This is the programming fact sheet: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41228E.pdf The voltage needs are on the first page.

Any ideas?

edit:

ok I was right. The PIC10F200 does not use standard pin placements. I rewired a breadboard to it and it worked! (lots of running around in excitement).

I guess now this thread will help some other poor soul in the future.

Yes! I am the poor soul! I need help. I am a novice in electronics. Could you please tell me which JDM Programmer you used and which Software.
Please could you post a step by step manual on How to Program PIC10F200 ? Thank you

Hi Black_demon,

I built a PIC programmer from instructables https://www.instructables.com/id/Business-Card-PIC-Programmer/#intro, but before you go out and build that one it works but with buggy results so far. That could be due to my lousy soldering or a problem with voltage levels on my COM port being too high (of all things).

As for a step by step, Id start by reading the first 3-4 pages of the datasheet over at Microchip for the 10F200, it shows you the pin connections and basics of the chip.

Read the ICSP overview here **broken link removed** to get an idea of what it is you are trying to achieve.

A word of warning: JDM programmers make a great hobby/DIY project but can be a bit unreliable, I'd read up on the different programming options first and if you want to go for something a bit more 21st Century go out and buy a "Microchip PICKIT 2" or a cheap clone of it from ebay, this will give much more reliable results.

Sorry its not a step-by-step. I haven't done enough PIC programming to confidently give one yet, but I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.