Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues with HP4396B Network Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

twomilimeter

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HP4396B Network Analyzer

Hi,

I am just beginning to use a network analyzer.
The model is HP 4396B network/spectrum analyzer.
I started by trying to measure the input power at the R and B channel by changing the RF power source.
The RF source, R and B channel are connected to a two way power splitter. The setup is shown below.
NetworkOutputtoRandBChannel.jpg

I set the "meas" button to B to measure the power on the B channel and "meas" to R to measure the input power to the R channel.
The relationship of the output power from the RF source with the measured input power to the B channel are shown below.
RelationsbetweenRFpowersourceandinp.jpg

I am a little confuse here. Why does the measured power at the R or B channel is larger than the RF power source?
For e.g., when the RF power source was set to -10dBm, I am measuring -15dB. Is -15dB the input power at the R or B channel or I have mistakenly understand the unit?

Secondly, I try to measure the response of a RC circuit with 50 ohm input and output terminated with R = 100ohm and C = 10pF. The 3dB roll off should be ~1.5MHz.
I set the "meas" channel to "B/R" and later to "B".
The setup, measured gain and phase are as shown below.
**broken link removed**
RC Setup

MagB.jpg

Gain with "meas" set to "B"

PhaseB.jpg

Phase with "meas" set to "B"

Why does the phase always change from -180 to 180? What does the phase indicate when the "meas" is set to "B/R" and "B" only?

Kindly advise.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
2mm

Re: HP4396B Network Analyzer

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. A network analyzer measures "relative" powers, not absolute powers. So, you seldom set the controls of it to measure only "B". You would instead set it to measure the ratio B/R, in dB's. That is usually the more useful measurement. Lets say you had a 3 dB attenuator pad, and wanted to measure its loss precisely. You would do the following:
1) set the network analyzer to measure B/R, and to sweep over the desired frequency range
2) connect the cables as in your first drawing
3) "Calibrate" the network analyzer by saving the sweep pattern of B/R. After "calibrating", your network analyzer display should show a straight line at 0 dB over the entire frequency range.
4) now install the device to be measured between the splitter and the B input. The display will now show the insertion loss of the attenuator pad as the frequency is swept. I assure you, you will not see the attenuator have any "gain"! The above 3 dB attenuator example should show 3.1 db loss at one frequency, 2.9 dB at another frequency, etc.

As far as the jump in phase from -180 to +180, it is just a mathematical quirk of the network analyzer. It is incapable of displaying -181 degrees, so as you are sweeping frequency and the meausrement phase goes from -179 to -180 to -181 degrees, you will instead see -179, -180, +179 degrees.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: HP4396B Network Analyzer

Dear Rich,

Thanks for the information.
Could I confirm that if we select "B/R", and by doing a frequency sweep, are we actually measuring the power transfer function of the circuit with reference to R?
How about the measured phase? What does it physically mean?
Lastly, I was connecting the network analyzer to a RC low pass filter and the phase angle should only reach -90 degree. However, it appears to change linearly with frequencies as shown in the phase plot. Could this be due to delay in the cable?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Twomilimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back