Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues and questions about block RAM synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Firstly i'd like to know the difference between the following modes:

(Im referring to the Xilinx XST userguide)

1.) Read first
2.) Write first
3.) No change..

Secondly, in the following code (No change mode)

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

entity rams_03 is
port (clk : in std_logic;
we : in std_logic;
en : in std_logic;
addr : in std_logic_vector(5 downto 0);
di : in std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
do : out std_logic_vector(15 downto 0));
end rams_03;

architecture syn of rams_03 is
type ram_type is array (63 downto 0) of std_logic_vector (15 downto 0);
signal RAM : ram_type;
begin

process (clk)
begin
if clk'event and clk = '1' then
if en = '1' then
if we = '1' then
RAM(conv_integer(addr)) <= di;
else
do <= RAM( conv_integer(addr));
end if;
end if;
end if;
end process;
end syn;

a.) why is ram_type defined as a "signal". wouldnt a "variable" do just fine or mebbe better since there are no delays associated with it.

b.) why are input and output ports seperate. Isnt ram supposed to have a single data bus ? Further will the multiple driver resolution problem arise if i declare the data bus as INOUT.

Re: Block RAM synthesis

Dear Nikolai
Why do you want to declare RAM as an variable? A signal over there is perfectly fine. Variable may cause a problem, and moreover you will have to map the variable then ultimately to a signal, because variables are temporary storage, and cannot be used to retain the data.
RAMs MAY have a single bus for RD/WR, but its not that RAM WILL have that, also most RAMs today have different RD and Write buses. INOUT are only used to drive signals off chip. Anything inside the chip generally will not be of INOUT type.
But if you want you can delcare a signal signal with inout type, and use tristate buffers with them. A correct use of tristate buffers will prevent multiple drivers issue on it.
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Block RAM synthesis

Nikolai,

there is no such a think as biderectional buses inside FPGA, even if you declare bi-directional signal inside your module compiler will have to create two separate busses.

Also there are no tri-state buffers inside FPGA better practice is to use multiplexor, again if you are puting tri-stable buffer complier will put MUX.

Bottom line is why do we need to create additional job for complier?

Good lack

I agree, but suppose if my processor had a single port and a ram is to be interfaced to it, in that case there is no room for two seperate Din and Dout buses.

Block RAM synthesis

You mean BIDIRECTIONAL DATA BUS on cpu? in this case ouput buffers from FPGA does have capabilty of tri-state buffers on pins only, you will need external signal to control tri-state buffers it can be read from CPU with additional address decoder logic

Im not quite sure i understood that...

just to make it more clear, my processor and the RAM both will reside inside the FPGA
i.e im implementing a processor and a ram inside the FPGA and interfacing them internally...

Block RAM synthesis

I see. I think you should impliment rd data bus dat to your CPU and wr data bus data from your CPU

If processor and ram is to be implemented in a same fpga then why dont u go for separate bus it self as it will definately get implemented by compiler.

Ofcourse, seperate buses can be implemented for reading and writing to the RAM...
But suppose i want to limit it to single bus only....

The attached figure wud clear my intentions....

moreover, when i declare a DATA port as INOUT...

i get an error during synthesis , that signal DATA cannot be synthesized...
Is this problem inherently associated with INOUT signals ??

Added after 1 minutes:

pic

Block RAM synthesis

Sometimes what we want and what we can does not match., and we have to reduce "wants" to achive "cans"

NOt sure why you so strict of using bidirectional bus inside FPGA, if there are any resons, beside "I want"??

Good lack

Block RAM synthesis

Most FPGA CPU's have separate ports for read data and write data.
Most FPGA RAM's have dual ports.
That eliminates the need for an internal bidirectional data bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back