Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issue with Speaker - Not covered under warranty due to water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboi

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good afternoon,

Apologies if this is not the right forum to ask in. Not really sure where to go here.

I purchased a Sony GTKXB5B Speaker and it decided to stop working 6 months after purchasing it. Upon returning it to the shop, they confirmed that it does not work due to water damage, however, I know for a fact that it has been kept indoors and out of the way. They sent me this pic. Would anyone kindly confirm for me if this indeed shows that the item has been damaged due to water, or are they just trying to pull a fast one?

Very much appreciate your help with this.

Dan

LIQUIDO PCB 108977.jpg

Looks more like a burn mark than water to me. It could be from liquid leakage from one of the capacitors but water generally results in corrosion of all the solder joints nearby.

Brian.

Looks more like a burn mark than water to me. It could be from liquid leakage from one of the capacitors but water generally results in corrosion of all the solder joints nearby.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, really appreciate the response.

Regards,

Dan

they confirmed that it does not work due to water damage, however, I know for a fact that it has been kept indoors and out of the way. They sent me this pic.

The white deposit on the PCB is may be due to some salt (hard water leaving a salt residue after drying) but the amount of deposit is extensive and the water may be sea water (guessing by the extent of the deposit) which is unlikely.

There are brush marks on the deposit.

Clean water (deionised water can be used to clean a PCB; Ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohols are also useful) leaves no reside.

I guess that the PCB was not cleaned thoroughly after manufacture.

I took the 'white deposit' to be light reflecting off the board and the problem being the black area between the heat sink and black electrolytics. Can you clarify which of us is correct please Danyboi.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back