Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolator and circulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

STOIKOV

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I heard that isolators and circulators are useful when your circuit is not matched to 50ohm. Someone has information/references about the applications of these devices

yeah , the isolator is very usefully when your circuit is not matched , coz it isolate and prevent the reflected signal from affecting your circuit , it is very useful to use after PA if the antenna is not fully matched , there will be a reflected signal , the isolator prevent this signal from affecting ur PA

khouly

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you say it isolates from reflected signals, but anyway the signal is decreased in magnitude due to the unmatch ?

a three port device with in out & iso port terminated.
yes amplitude is decreased but its function is to protect the pa from VSWR damage. reflected power is absorbed in iso port. gooogle for more info.

jay

STOIKOV

Hi,

Attach below some datasheet we explanation about isolator!

David

Give me you email an d i will send it to you

STOIKOV

It's preferred you post the datasheet here - or even better - point to a link on the Internet. This is an open Forum and others may have interest in your answer.

STOIKOV

the aim of the isolator is to protect the sourse from any mismatch, i.e. it allows the source to see a matched load always. this is very usefull in case of vacumm tube devices(magnetrons etc), which will behave irratically in the influence of reflected powere.
and as far as the reduction in signal power is concerned at the load end , due to mismatch, some stub tunning etc may be required to be done, circulator/ isolator wont help.

STOIKOV

isolator is a circulator, with one of its ports is terminated.

signal enters the input port and "circulates" in clockwise or counterclock wise direction to output port, if there's no full matched output port, reflected powerl will "circulate" again toward teminated port and it is grounded here.

STOIKOV

please refer microwave devices by annapoorna das...

STOIKOV

you can learn the aplication of the ferrite devices in this boock:
microwave engineering
Pozar

STOIKOV

can u give me design of circulator in hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com