Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolating an RS-422 (RS-485 one way) network

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rs485 one way

I have an application where one-way data has to be transmited over wires at about 1Mbps to a distance of about 100meters. The cost of transceivers must be very low. I have successfully used simplex Rs-485 (Rs-422) except of one Problem. Sometimes, as the receiver and transmitters are powered bu different mains sources, the RS-485 drivers get blown up. I want to have some isolation in the circuit without increasing the cost too much.

Is it possible to use some pulse transformers with RS-422 like in Ethernet to isolate the transmitter and receiver circuits.

pulse transformers rs422

With regards to the RS-485 isolated circuits I have very positive experience with 74OL6000 logic-to-logic optoisolators.
Put 485 IC on the isolated side and supply it of a dc/dc converter such as for example NMA0505S, or similar ..
Here you will find examples:
**broken link removed**
Regards,
IanP

I have tried it but I was wondering whether an ethernet type of transformer can be used in this application. It is cheap and gives a perfect protection. And there is no electronics exposed to the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back