Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolated ground planes on a MCU controlled high voltage IGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Isolated ground planes on a MCU controlled high voltage

I cant tell yu how helpful this thread has been!

If I put -15V / +15V across Vee/Vcc of the VO3120, wont I be putting 30V across the gate/emitter of the IGBT meaning that I exceed the maximum allowable Vge for many IGBTs? I thought that 15V was the optimum Vge.

Maybe I shouldn't think so much and should just listen :D

For turn-on a positive gate voltage of 15V [+/-10%] is recommended ..
This value is sufficiently high to fully saturate an IGBT ..
In no case should a gate drive outside of the range of 12 to 20V be used for turn-on ..

Rgds,
IanP

IanP said:
For turn-on a positive gate voltage of 15V [+/-10%] is recommended ..
This value is sufficiently high to fully saturate an IGBT ..
In no case should a gate drive outside of the range of 12 to 20V be used for turn-on ..

Rgds,
IanP

I think I misunderstood the Vo output terminal of the VO3120. The datasheet says it can handle a maximum supply voltage (Vcc - Vee) of 35V, whilst the Vo output terminal will always be in the range 0V to Vcc. Hence, if I'm right then with +15V on Vcc and -15V on Vee I will still only be gettting 0V to 15V on Vo. But does this bring me any benefits over using a simpler uni-polar 15V DC/DC and simply putting 0V in Vee and 15V in Vcc?

They dont call me the rookie for nothing!!

-15V is good against miller effects in power transistor. Then you can hold gate much lower voltages than threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.