Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolated feedback in flyback switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
We are trying to make a cost effective isolated DC-DC supply using a simple switcher IC in flyback mode. I have seen several AC-DC offline switchers making use of an auxiliary winding of the transformer for feedback. An example circuit is attached below.
1594490331877.png

My question is
- can we do the same for a DC DC isolated supply? The input voltage is around 12VDC and desired output is also 12V isolated with 100mA capability. Of course I'll use a different IC with an appropriate external switch. I am primarily concerned with the feedback mechanism.
- I am considering TI's MC33063, for the DC DC switcher. It's a general purpose switcher and I am planning to use it in the same way as the offline switcher circuitry above . Is this approach OK for a low voltage DC DC switcher?
1594490588037.png

Anyone with experience in isolated DC-DC supply please share your opinions.
Thank you

Attachments

• 1594490318384.png
    1594490318384.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 547

Hi,

can we do the same for a DC DC isolated supply?
The IC is already working on DC input .... it does never know whether there is a rectifier or not....and it does not know whether the rectifier input is AC or DC.

Klaus

mrinalmani

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes you can do it, but if the non isolated winding is on much higher loading than the feedback winding, then the isolated output may dip in volts quite a bit.....ie when it goes from no load to full load and vice versa its voltage will change quite a bit....after all, its not "directly" regulated.

Its only 12v and 100ma......so why not just use an on/off control with a digital isolater to feed back?....or an opto to the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.