Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ISD1700 Voice Recorder Batch Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderdog

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am using an ISD17xx sound record/playback chip in SPI mode (using a microcontroller). I am looking for a method for downloading .wav files from my PC computer to the ISD device. I have connected a cable between my sound card and Pin9 (Aud IN) of the sound chip and can successfully download files by playing the file (using Audacity) and simultaneosly pressing the REC button on the board with the ISD17xx device.

I would like to be able to download a large .wav file with embedded EOM markers to the ISD that indicates that each file (between EOM markers) is separate. Does anyone have experience with this ? The ISD1700 data sheets and app notes that I've read mention that EOM markers are placed (i.e. when using SET_RECORD), but don't indicate what the EOM is. My goal is to be able to program multiple copies of the chip, so downloading one file at a time will not work. I've seen a commercial eval board that can program, but they seem to be in the $150+ range.

Any ideas how I can develop a good process to download multiple files (60-90 seconds worth) separated by the EOM markers ?
Thanks.

As you have already done, at every press of REC button your ISD is starting a new recording and when you press STOP button, it stops and places the EOM marker.

Make yourself a small board with uC at your will, SEEPROM that has the capacity of at least the memory capacity of your ISD, write a little of software for uC, but FIRST study the datasheet of ISD. It is a lot of reading, but it will help you a lot.

Then you can make as many copies of your firds ISD, as you wish.

Particulary read WELL the protocol explanation and the memory/register map of the chip.

HTH

The good method is to write a computer program that uses a simple handshake protocol with a microcontroller through serial port. You can connect sound card output to analog input of ISD chip. Microcontroller is also attached to ISD1700 chip through SPI. In that case, the computer program plays .wav file, sends RECORD to the microcontoller and after music finished, sends STOP and goes for the next. Microcontoller sends corresponding commands to the ISD.

If you implement such a system, you would have good quality + zero sound delay, but is a little difficult.

There is also a product that records .wav files into ISD1700 chips. You can have batch programming and several other features using this product:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.