Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this kind of code is one-hot coding style

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurukuru

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
code style one hot

Hi all,

I am a newbie in FPGA using VHDL language, I was told by my friend to try to write my code using state machine coz it easy to read and debug. I have coded my circuit as shown below and I’m wondering that whether this coding style called one-hot or not? (FYI, I have read many posts about one-hot coding theory but not quite understand how it looks like in VHDL code) Or if it not one-hot, how should I fix my code to be one-hot coding?

Thank you very much in advance

kurukuru

Code:
process (CLK, RST_L)
begin
	if (RST_L = '0') then
		wWR_EN <= '0';
		wWRITE_STATE <= WAIT_DATA;
	elsif (CLK'event and CLK = '1') then
		case wWRITE_STATE is
			when WAIT_DATA =>
				wWR_EN <= '0';
				if (wBYTE_COMPLETE = '1') then
					wWRITE_STATE <= START_WRITE;
				else
				end if;
			when START_WRITE =>
				wWR_EN <= '0';
				wWRITE_DATA <= wDATA_BUFFER (8 downto 1);
				wWRITE_STATE <= WRITING;
			when WRITING =>
				wWR_EN <= '1';
		end case;
	end if;
end process;

fpga + one-hot code

I cant see where you re encoding the states.
You need assign values for the state register, otherwise you need to tell the synthesis tool which type of encoding you want , whether grey code or on hot etc.
If you are using ISE in synthesis report you can check the encoding method which the tool has used.

one hot fsm and grey code fsm

Thank you very much shastri.vs for your reply.

So you mean that my code is ready to be One-hot encoding. what I have to do is just select encoding style option in my synthesis program. Am I wrong?

By the way, I use Lattice FPGA and ispLever as a synthesis program. Then I found that there is [FSM Encoding = on (or off)] in properties of systhesis tools, does it refer to enable and disable one-hot encoding?

Thanks very much

one hot coding refer

That doesnt mean it will do One-Hot encoding only. It may do any style. U can set it to One-Hot if they have given that option.
Otherwise u disable automatic encoding and do it manually in the code.
If there are 4 stages in ur FSM u need 4 bit state register to do one hot. U have to configure each register as follow.
reg1 <= "0001"
reg2 <= "0010"
reg3 <= "0100"
reg4 <= "1000"
Refer RTL Hardware Design using VHDl by Pong P Chu, it explains very clearly.

one hot coding

Thank you very much shastri.vs. I got it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back