Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this feasible??sending 8-bit data from a PC Lan Port to one of 8051's port??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qube

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there,

*My simple objective is to send some codes from my PC to a Micro-controller,which will then take decision based on the received code and control another Machine

So my idea is,all PC comes with a 8-bit lan port,so what if i could connect the 8 bit LAN wires to one of the port of 8051 and use a C/C++/C# app to write 8-bit code onto the Lan port...for example if PC transmits 00000001 ,then the 8051 compares the value and then does some pre-defined work...

do you think this is a good idea or it is better to send a message from PC to the 8051 and then process it and go that way???

also can you tell me is it possible to write a byte on to the LAN port ???

What is an "8-bit LAN port"? Are you mistaking an 8-pin RJ-45 ethernet connector for an 8-bit port?

Reactions: Qube

Qube

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What is an "8-bit LAN port"? Are you mistaking an 8-pin RJ-45 ethernet connector for an 8-bit port?

sorry,yes you are correct,i was talking about the 8 pin RJ-45... :) that 8 pins represent 8 bits right??

Last edited:

sorry,yes you are correct,i was talking about the 8 pin RJ-45... :) that 8 pins represent 8 bits right??

WHOA!!! Ethernet is a SERIAL communications protocol. It uses differential signalling. Two wires are for transmitted data, two wires are for received data, and the other two pairs are reserved. You can't just pull data off the ethernet port like you would like to.

If your pc has a serial port, I would suggest using that to communicate with your 8051 (since it has a built in UART). If you don't have a serial port, then you are either going to have add an interface card or breakdown and use a more complicated interface like USB or Ethernet.

Reactions: Qube

Qube

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
WHOA!!! Ethernet is a SERIAL communications protocol. It uses differential signalling. Two wires are for transmitted data, two wires are for received data, and the other two pairs are reserved. You can't just pull data off the ethernet port like you would like to.

If your pc has a serial port, I would suggest using that to communicate with your 8051 (since it has a built in UART). If you don't have a serial port, then you are either going to have add an interface card or breakdown and use a more complicated interface like USB or Ethernet.

sorry for my mistake,i didnt know about that,thank you for correcting...

so the best way is to use a chip derived 8051 with USB like PIC18F2455...

also i have a doubt that is, any 8051 development kit can be used to develop anyother companies 8051 derived IC??

also which is a good 8051 kit? thank you

Can't speak to the 8051 kit question, but if you search the net I'm sure you can find plenty of information.

If you HAVE to go the USB route, there are other solutions: USB-Serial converters (or Ethernet to serial converters). Trying to implement a USB solution is not for beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back