Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a bridge RECTIFIER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_ko241988

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there anyone that could identify this circuitry?
and can you give an oscilloscope output (in picture) if possible in details of what you notice about this circuit..actually I'm only a student..And doing an experiment for this device...but then there a lack of facilities/ equipment here in our school...like oscilloscope.. so, i could not perform very well about this..

AB will be twice the peak voltage of the input. For positive voltage, the top diode will conduct, for negative voltage the left diode will conduct. The right and bottom diodes do nothing. Maybe the connections can be reconfigured for different input voltages.

Is this circuit consider or performing as voltage multiplier or doubler or tripler..? cause actually i'm wondering for that kind of circuit.....
then the circuit is fixed already..
In your observation, is the output of the circuit is an AC power or DC?

This circuit is nothing but a modified bridge rectifier. It doesn't triple or double the input voltage. Actually this circuit is a "good" bridge rectifier. Diodes are connected parallel to the capacitors in a smart way, so that it is guarantied that the voltage level on the capacitors will always be higher than zero.

You can use this kind of rectifier for rectifying very low voltages (to prevent high noise to create negative peaks), or for circuits which can easily break down at negative supply voltages.

is there anyone happen to see that circuitry above?in web or in a book..
coz' actually i'm not totally convince.....
i need more evidence..and explanation possible...
coz there conflict happening here..i dont know which one is true...

this is a voltage doubler circuit, normally used to for fused tube lights. with 230v input. connect a 60w bulb or choke series with the circuit

caN you give me a website that can explain maybe about thjs matter....actually i found it out that is really a voltage doupler but then there is something much more unique characteristics of this that i observe which is i cant explain how it goes...because of lack of equipment for testing.. so, then if you can help me or give an explaination how it works then much better..thanks a lot..in advance

Here is how I look at it:
The output across the top capacitor would be 78*1.141 = 110V.
The path (+ve) is top diode, top capacitor and back to supply.

The output across the bottom capacitor would be 78*1.141 = 110V.
The path (-ve) is left diode, bottom capacitor and back to supply.

Hence the total voltage is 2*110=220V DC, a Voltage doubler, half wave rectification.

So what do the other 2 diodes do? Let us look at the load path.
The top capacitor discharges through the load (here a voltmeter) and bottom diode.
The bottom capacitor powers the load through the right diode!

Ok, To make it a little more clearer,
The top capacitor gets charged during the +ve half cycle by the top diode. At this time, the bottom capacitor provides the current to the load via the diode across the top capacitor, thus providing the load with a constant current without ripple.

It would have been better to redraw the circuit as a full wave rectifier with the dioddes in parallel with the caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.