Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there gapped core required in Two switch forward converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg300

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a Two switch Farward Converter. So is there Gapped required in this topology (like a single switch Flyback converter) or not. My second question is, can I calculate the transformer turns ratio of 2 switch farward converter like a single switch flyback converter or it is a different procedure.
nationaltws2.jpg

Transformer design for forward and flyback converters is completely different, since only the flyback transformer needs to store energy. In general a forward converter should not need a gapped transformer, though having a very small gap may be beneficial depending on the core characteristics.

Reactions: kg300

kg300

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
or it is a different procedure.
Its a totally different design procedure.

As Kg300 says, forward converters do not have large air gaps, usually zero gap.

The turns ratio will pretty much reflect the ratio of dc output voltage to dc input voltage, plus a bit extra to allow for voltage drops through diodes and mosfets.

this has been argued many times and I will soon post here the posts that discuss whether or not to gap forward transformers....at the end of the day, the roughness of core surfaces means that whether we like it or not, we jolly well have a very significant gap there anyway......some such as I are favourers of having a known gap so that we can exactly define the magnetising inductance of the primary.

Here is the post that discusses gapping forward txformers...there are also further relevant posts linked in this....

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/341980/

Attachments

• Pg169 shows ungapped is gapped!.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kg300

kg300

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.