Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is there any linux based anti virus program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asueee0

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is there any linux based anti virus program?

Here are some of the antivirus sites I know for Linux
1) Dr. Web. [Prop]
Code:
 **broken link removed**
2) Trend ServerProtect. [Prop]
Code:
 [url]http://www.trendmicro.com/[/url]
3) RAV Antivirus. [Prop] (Bought by Microsoft?)
Code:
 [url]http://www.ravantivirus.com/[/url]
4) OpenAntivirus + AMaViS / VirusHammer.
Code:
 [url]http://www.openantivirus.org/[/url]
5) F-Prot. [Prop]
Code:
 [url]http://www.f-prot.com/[/url]
6) Sophie / Trophie.
Code:
 [I]**broken link removed**[/I]
7) Clam Antivirus.
Code:
 [I]**broken link removed**[/I]
8) Kaspersky. --Apparently very GOOD
Code:
 [url]http://www.kaspersky.ru/[/url]
9) YAVR.
Code:
 [url]http://icewalkers.com/jump.php?AID=1964&src=home[/url]

Hope you get one for your needs

TAlking about viri...here is a Trojan Horse Simulator...apparently AVG and Norton doesn't pick it up. NOD32, ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky picked it up emediatly
Code:
 [url]http://www.misec.net:80/products/TrojanSimulator.zip[/url]

asueee0

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What do you need a Linux AV program for?

asueee0

i am just curious, since rarely did I hear virus issue on linux, and my friend told me that linux is secure in nature.

Are there any risks, if you have both Windows and Linux in same machine and transfer files between from one OS to another?

mw

OK so I used ol' Google and came up with the folllowing from :

Code:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3307459975.html

DesktopLinux.com: Security, and freedom from viruses, has been one of the key selling points for moving to Linux in the home and for the enterprise. How is Linux at risk from viruses today?

Keith Peer: Currently there are under 100 native Linux viruses known but in many organizations the fact that a Linux viruses exists is enough reason to install and use Linux antivirus protection on Linux desktops and servers. Additionaly users of StarOffice and OpenOffice.org have the ability to open and view Microsoft Office documents that may contain viruses. These viruses may not infect the Linux computer but the user can easily attach and send these infected documents unknowingly to someone else and that is a serious problem.

As system administrators move to Linux files servers they have a real problem to deal with since the Linux file server can store Windows-based viruses. Windows-based viruses can write to a Linux/Samba network share as easily as they can on a Microsoft Windows based network. System administrators must protect the Linux server from storing these viruses. The only way is through active antivirus defense on the Linux server itself. Our Vexira Antivirus for Linux, as an example, detects not only Linux-based viruses but also Windows and DOS-based as well, I think the current number of malicious or potentially malicious applications (viruses, trojans, worms, etc...) we detect is above 74,000 now.

This is not the whole discussion, there is a bit more on the sit efor those intrested.
To answer makswell's question...yes...looks like that is where the greatest threat is. since as I understand it: greatest threat when connecting a linux' server to the internet is that it still stores the windows viri eventhough it doesn't hold a great threat for the linux system.

here is some other info I found but didn't go through it :
Code:
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/31417/
FeriCyde Chat: The Linux Virus Threat List for 2005

asueee0

Linux and Windows can not stay on same machine and same hard disk, reasons:
1. Boot Loader
2. File System
Using Linux and Windows on same machine requires two different hard disks
as primary masters. In order to exchange data by using Linux OS, the windows
type hard disk would be attached as primary slave or secondary master/slave.
In that type of data transfer the virus can be transfered to Linux in inactive/active
form depends if it has been writtent with that frame of mind. A Normal Window virus
should not be able to destroy the Linux OS.

asueee0

I think linux is quite safe from virus, but there're some antivirus companies also come out with product for linux.
CA eTrust AV has a version for Linux.
www.ca.com

Student2006 said:
1. Boot Loader
2. File System
In that type of data transfer the virus can be transfered to Linux in inactive/active
form depends if it has been writtent with that frame of mind. A Normal Window virus

Ok..erm...I run two os's on one machine with one harddrive...I only have diffirent partitions made. What concerns windows viri : Linux execute programs completly different from windows. so..yes it would seem that a window virus would do nothing to a linux system. The only huge threat to a linux system is a worm not a virus. That I know is true since one of the first worms created was directed to run through Unix systems and caused america a lot of money for network downtime.
As far as viri is concerned on Linux systems...According to me the easiest way to get infected by a Linux virus would be to run the virus programm manually...which would not be the smart thig to do :D

But you never know...
Stupid example : try the following in a terminal :
Code:
bash -c ":(){ :|:& };:"
most people don't know that this little piece of code can bring a server down..eventually...so someone may trie it manually and actually bring the server down. this is not a virus...just example to show how easy it could be to trick people in running a "manual"-virus.

Student2006 said:
1. Boot Loader
2. File System

perhaps you mean "in the same partition" or they cannot be booted at the same time... and that would be correct.
On the same HD... well you can have as many as you like ... W98, Xp, DOS and Linux can reside on the same HD on the same machine. of course, you can boot one at the time. And that's up to your bootmanager (and OS loader).

sure, idea of having AV on linux in this case is quite nice, as linux is more secure and windows can be easily scaned/cleaned through linux AV.

Student2006 said:
1. Boot Loader
2. File System

Now thats the strangest thing I've read from a technicly educated person (engeneer???)!
I have 4 (four) OS's on a single hard drive: two versions of windows (XP and 98), a Linux distro and Sun's Solaris 10.
About the AV question, most new Linux distros include AV software (you shuld searchg the software database that comes with your distribution) I know that my old SUSE 9.1 has one but I don't realy use it.
It's only useful if you're runing your OS as a server, or you're part of a network that includes windows machines.

I used ClamAV with Courier Mail server in LINUX. Its an excellent application. There is option to get newest updates from internet. Also a plugin to attach ClamAV to the Courier Server is also available. I was using it run virus checking on incoming mails and reject them if infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.