Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there A GNU C for the 51?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a GNU tool chain for the 51 ..But so far i have not even located the C compiler !

There is a a GNU AVR, GNU MSP430 ..Does any body now if the GNU C compiler and assembler are avalaible for the 51 also??

I don't know about a gnu one, but try this one.... it's free and looks to have some history

sdcc.sourceforge.net

robotman

Thanks robotman.But i need a gnu chain .. I want to port a GNU system to the 51 .. There are some 51 running at 100 mips now .. Now we can have more fun !

imho, x51 architecture is realy bad for GCC :cry:

There isn't a gcc port for 8051 and it probably won't be one too soon; it is my understanding that the 8051 architecture just doesn't map on the gcc's machine description model. I don't know how large your system is, but if it is low/medium sized it shouldn't be too hard to make it compile with sdcc instead.

eltonjohn said:
I need a GNU tool chain for the 51 ..But so far i have not even located the C compiler !

There is a a GNU AVR, GNU MSP430 ..Does any body now if the GNU C compiler and assembler are avalaible for the 51 also??

try sdcc but not too optimize so hard use for commercial try IAR

I've heard that sdcc was derived from GNU CC compiler, and other components was added (assembler, debugger, ...), so I expect that your sources should be compiled with sdcc (which works in unix environment and cygwin).

SDCC-51 is the only GNU 51 compiler right now. It is not so powerful, but
maybe in the future... Anyway 8051 architecture has very bad memory
areas (SFR, DATA, IDATA, XDATA, PDATA, HDATA, ECODE, CODE)
making it unfriendly for existing GCC.

eltonjohn,
Can you name a few 100 MIPs uCs 51 machines ?
Are you sure they are 100 MIPs [or maybe 100Mhz...] ?

It would be interesting to know :
1. Clock Cycles per instruction ?
2. Possible 1st & 2nd source vendors for these 100 MIPs 51 uCs ?

I have recently stumbled into an 80Mhz xx51 uC with 4 clock-cycles/intstruction, which makes it a 20 MIPs xx51 machine....

Checkout the latest products of cygnal (www.cygnal.com) ... you'll find it there. I don't know if there's anybody else. Dallas used to make some high-speed 8051 derivatives, but none of them got near the 100MIPS barrier. This should be a very interesting toy to play with, as long as you can find some good applications. I don't have any at this moment.

I am looking at a Video application at 85Mhz ADC/DAC RGB Pixel rate. So I need 3 of these beasts.

Do you know whether the Keil C51 compiler supports the 100 MIPs Cygnal uC above ?.

roli said:
I am looking at a Video application at 85Mhz ADC/DAC RGB Pixel rate. So I need 3 of these beasts.

Do you know whether the ke*il C51 compiler supports the 100 MIPs Cygnal uC above ?.

https://www.keil.com/dd/8051chips.asp
The short answer: yes, it does :) Just a thought: have you considered using a custom FPGA-based solution? It might be more suited to this kind of application.

Yes - I have looked at FPGA solution. The major [price] issue is the Price of external ADC/DAC - and the price & integration time of an FPGA 8051 core IP.

And - BTW - I looks like I'll only need 2 Cygnal C8051F12x devices for 3 x DAC/ADC [each Cygnal device has 2]. As it looks right now, the Cygnal solution price [2 x $10] is unbeatable !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back