Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is there a difference between PIC and Micro controller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzviel

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am beginning to work with micro controlleres.

I wanted to know is there a difference between PIC and Micro controllers ?,

or it is just a different name for the same thing.

Another question is how do you choose with which PIC to work in a project?

Thanks

PIC is just product name. So, PIC is microcontroller, like mercedes (bmw, audi) is a car.

16F84
16F877
18F452

PIC "is" a microcontroller. Probabably not a bad choice to learn on, but other would no doubt disagree. Try Pic16F628 or 628A. Very cheap with 2k flash and eeprom for reprogramming many times. Also has hardware serial port and lots of clock options. All good fun, best of luck.

You can call PIC a microcontroller, as it contains program and data memory + I/Os, ... , everything within one IC.
How to select one:
Create a list of needs: size of code (Flash, EProm, EEProm, .. SRAM .. capacity), number of I/Os, ADC and/or DAC ..
Go to Microchip site, and select one that is fulfilling these requirements.
Regards,
IanP

Thank you all for the fast replay !!!

what comes before the other? do i need to choose the PIC according to my program size? isn't the program different for different PICs (they have different "legs")?
so if i have a program it will work only on one kind of micro-controller
and not on another

Program size has nothing with pin numbers, and program is not significantly different for different PIC type.

well.i advise u to read a book about microcontrollers first and u will solve many questions on ur mind.it seems u have no idea and u need to learn how to program them using a common language.protgram is same but u choose ur device up to ur needs with the proram+capabilities...
u can also try to download a pic book from here on edaboard!

I LOVE THIS BOARD!

Try reading:
The Quintessential PIC Microcontroller by S.J. Katzen.
It really starts from scrap.

dpsm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back