Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the main power frequency important to Induction Cooktops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calenosa

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I would like buy a 3kW induction cooktop. The one I intend to buy requires a power source at 220V/60Hz. However, in my country, the main power is 220V/50Hz. Does this difference in frequency cause any incompatible problems? Can I use the induction cooktop in my country?

Thanks.

Hello

It shouldn't matter *that* much, except for the input filters; the resonant LC tank is at its switching frequency. Of course, it depends on its internals for which, I cannot say anything.

But, for some comforting thoughts, if you have access to some testing facility and if it has the possibility of adjusting the power output, you might be able to connect it to an autotransformer with 150V, for example, and gradually start its power from zero. If it won't work, gradually increase the input voltage and repeat the process, while doing measurements.

Vlad

Hello

It shouldn't matter *that* much, except for the input filters; the resonant LC tank is at its switching frequency. Of course, it depends on its internals for which, I cannot say anything.

But, for some comforting thoughts, if you have access to some testing facility and if it has the possibility of adjusting the power output, you might be able to connect it to an autotransformer with 150V, for example, and gradually start its power from zero. If it won't work, gradually increase the input voltage and repeat the process, while doing measurements.

Vlad

Hi, thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately I don't have any test equipments, that's why I have to ask you guys about the potential problems this incompatibility may cause.

Shouldn't really make a difference. To maintain a decent power factor over such a wide range (0-3kW), the device probably has some kind of active PFC boost circuit built in, which means could feed it pretty much anything. Input magnetics, EMI filter, might be the only thing to look at. They derate with lower frequency.

Last edited:

Some ckts which respond to 50 Hz supply don't respond to your 60Hz do go through the device manual before using

It's impossible to know for sure without closely looking at the design, but I would assume it doesn't matter. Different line frequencies generally only matter in cases where there's a line transformer, or if the frequency of the AC line is used for some control of the system (like for phase triggering in triac rectifiers). It also may matter slightly if a simple bridge rectifier. But for modern, high power appliances, there is likely a PFC preregulator first, and that should not have a problem with 50Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.