Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the battery the cleanest PSU of all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Is a single charged battery the cleanest PSU one can have?
I have heard something about noise from internal chemical reactions, but is there any cleanest psu?

Haven't heard of anything cleaner. A battery is free of hum and ripple.

A capacitor has a stable output but its volt level drops steadily.

**broken link removed**

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Search the internet for electrochemical noise in batteries' - there are quite a lot of references.

Yes of course I expected to have some noise because of electrochemical reactions, but my practical experience tells me that this is the cleanest of all other types of PSUs. Whenever I connect a battery on sensitive equipment, all hum dissapear and noise goes down.
Although I have not made any practical measurements, Jean Hiraga in his battery powered amplifiers shows with measurements the lowers noise achieved by batteries. But I am not so confident.
I wonder if a well designed regulator will benefit from a battery as a psu source at all.
I have an example here **broken link removed** Where a two stage regulator is used to regulate and to clean the DC. Will this benefit from a battery source at all?
Perhaps an advise of how to measure the PSU noise will help more.

some chemical reactions involve excitation of electrons which produce noise in realtime

but compared to other PSU batteries are the most silent ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back