Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is post layout simulation obligatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memsgg

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I design an ic using an opamp cell from CDK, but the CDK can not do the post layout simulation including the opamp cell, my quetion is:

1. I don't want to design the opamp by myself, is there any problems for using the opamp cell from CDK?

2. what is the postlayout mainly for? I think it is for paracitics capacitor and resistor, is it right?

3. the working frequency is less than 10kHz, must I do the post layout simulation before tapeout?

Thanks in advance
Yong

memsgg said:
2. what is the postlayout mainly for? I think it is for paracitics capacitor and resistor, is it right?

3. the working frequency is less than 10kHz, must I do the post layout simulation before tapeout?
Yes, post layout is mainly for parasitic capacitors and resistors.
It's not a must , however it is risky to tapeout without post layout simulation, however u can add parasitic capacitors and resistors at the sensitive nodes in ur circuit to check the affect of layout parasitics on ur design but this also doesn't guarantee that u have taken all the layout effects in ur consideration.

memsgg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don't know how to do now, the Design kit uses dracula to erc and lvs, but doesn't support the post layout simulation if I use their opamp cells. is it strange?

And I think 10kHz is low, and the parasitic capacitor should be ok, is it right?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

hi!

i tried post layout simulation but only after i designed the op amp itself. i instanced my own design after parasitic rc extraction. haven't tried simulating the available op amp included in the kit.

try designing one?

- al

memsgg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
MSSN said:
memsgg said:

Yes, post layout is mainly for parasitic capacitors and resistors.
It's not a must , however it is risky to tapeout without post layout simulation, however u can add parasitic capacitors and resistors at the sensitive nodes in ur circuit to check the affect of layout parasitics on ur design but this also doesn't guarantee that u have taken all the layout effects in ur consideration.

But I think the frequency is very low, 10KHz, so it is unnecessary to do the postlayout simulation, is it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back