Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is possible to send data over a phone line without a modem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rat_ring

Ok a have this IDEA ,, i want to send a code over the PHONE line ..the device has to be very small ..TINY .. and real cheap .. very cheap!
I dont want to put a modem ....(in the general sense!)
It will dial .. and then send the code an receive some other code .
I have the DTMF's routines that produce the codes and with a 1-bit AD
converter i'm able to reconize the code .. So now is a matter of interfacing this thing to the line .. I'm thinking to do it optically ..?
What do you think?

sending data from microcontroller over phone line

It you use 2 tones with <> frequency one for 0 and one for 1 it will be very simple very cheap and very slow.

hc

Re: Is possible to send data over a phone line without a mod

Maybe you can get lucky here:
A group of PIC microcontroller enthusiasts dedicated to open
distribution of real world telecommunications applications running on the lowest
cost Flash PIC hardware.

Why not visit our website at www.geocities.com/kenboak/rat_ring.html

To learn more about the rat_ring discussion group, please visit the
Yahoo site:

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/rat_ring

They use a PIC to cummunicate via phoneline.

best regards

You do not need optical coupling , if things what your mcu is monitoring on do not require that .

That means you can supply you mcu directly from phone line , and if it is low power mcu , you can get power even when no call is ongoing (but dc-dc converter will be needed ). I do not remember exact current (in theory POTS line is current source) may be in range 15-25 ma . So , if you get 12 V at that current - you have 200 mW of power .
Simplest way is to get power
via serialy zener and resistor . Send and receive can be done directly from line via decoupling capacitor , connected to line where resistor is present . That is for half duplex connection . But if you need something more sophisticated and/or full duplex
mode - hybrid transformer and other wires must be added (transistor or transformer based ).
As a base you can use electornic telephone
design . The hybrid transformer , input (microphone)
output (speaker), hook on/off circuits - all are there . You canuse only transistors or simple chips to make it cheap .

Optocoupling also possible - but it will just add coupling circuits to the mentioned above .

What you need is a DAA circuit to interface the phone line

there are meny company who produce DAA (slic)chip set who operate directly from the phone line

Goto **broken link removed**

enjoy

bobi

You can use DTMF but it will be very very slow.
You must "invent" a protocol.

For example
* - Start bit
# - Stop bit
1 - 00
2 - 01
3 - 10
4 - 11
With this protocol you can send A byte with 6 tones

For example if yo want to send "A" '1000001'

yo must send *3112#

Can't you use the V23 protocol? It's the simplest, slowest protocol for data over standard phone lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.