Status
Not open for further replies.

4tuty

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to take differential output from two photo darlingtons. I am biasing the photo darlingtons with 5 volt using LM7805. I am taking the output between the 10 k resistor and giving to opamp mcp602 with differential amplifier configuration without any gain. Is there any loading effect in my circuit? If yes does it require any buffer/voltage follower circuit in non inverting terminal? or how to improve my circuit? any other alternatives?

**broken link removed**

Re: is my design correct

Hi,

Your attachment link doesn't work for me.
Maybe take a screenshot and safe it on your PC as jpg or png.
Then use the "insert image" button to insert the picture.

Klaus

Re: is my design correct

Hi,

Your attachment link doesn't work for me.
Maybe take a screenshot and safe it on your PC as jpg or png.
Then use the "insert image" button to insert the picture.

Klaus

sorry for the trouble

Hi,

(The picture is a bit small, hard to recognize the part values)

without any gain
This is not a technical term. Some may mis-interprete "no gain" with gain = 0.
But in your case "no gain" means gain = 1.

--> please in future use the term: "gain = 1"

Analyzing your circuit:

The first an mayb ebiggest problem is: You use an OPAMP supply of 9V, whil the OPAMP supply is spicified with 2.6V ... 6.0V.
--> You are beyond specification! This may kill the OPAMP.

Now look at the signal path of the left diode (non iverting path).
* diode anode at +5V
* from cathode there is a 10k to GND
* also from cathode there are 2x 1k (in series) to GND. (you may ignore the influence of the OPAMP, because the input current should be negligible)
--> the total diode load is: 10k in parallel to 2k = 1.6666k (this may be good or not, you need to know)

Now let´s calculate the voltage at the noninverting OPAMP input (this determines the common mode voltage)
The voltage at the cathode (referenced to GND) is: diode_current x 1.666k
Because of the 1k/1k voltage divider --> the voltage at the OPAMP input if half of the cathode_voltage: IN+_voltage = diode_current / ( 2 x 1.6666k)

Now you see with no diode current there is 0V. This is critical because it is close to the OPAMP_supply_rail.
But according datasheet the OPAMP can handle common_mode_input_voltage down to -0.3V. So everything is OK so far.

Now assume the left diode carries some current.
--> the voltage at IN+ rises
--> the voltage at OPAMP_output rises.
Everything OK so far.

Now assume no diode carries current.
--> the OPAMP_output should be 0.000V
This is critical, because it is at the OPAMP supply rail.
According datasheet: "Linear Output Voltage Swing" is only down to 100mV, then it becomes unlinear and will saturate at about 20mV.
--> Trouble. You estimate 0mV, but there will be something between 20mV and 100mV

Now assume left diode carries no current, but right one carries some current. .
--> the OPAMP_output should be negative
This is critical, because it is below OPAMP supply rail.
According datasheet: "Linear Output Voltage Swing" is only down to 100mV, then it becomes unlinear and will saturate at about 20mV.
--> Trouble. You estimate negative voltage, but there will be something between around 20mV positive.

Conclusion:
There are two major problems to solve now:
* Power supply for the OPAMP: Either use a suitable OPAMP or modify the supply voltage for the OPAMP.
* You need to define the expected output_voltage vs the "differential_input_current".

Next steps will follow...

Klaus

Reactions: 4tuty

4tuty

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As explained by KlausST, the differential output can only work in one direction (Ileft >= Iright). But what's the intended function at all?

4tuty

As explained by KlausST, the differential output can only work in one direction (Ileft >= Iright). But what's the intended function at all?

KlausST given awesome explanation thank you. I am going to use left diode as reference diode another diode is test diode(coupling diode to fiber optic); reference diode output is always greater than test diode. so i am taking the voltage difference and measure the differential voltage v2-v1 from two diodes.

PFA, is this circuit is correct?

Hi,

You said: " v2-v1" .... as if your input is voltage:
* the photodiodes make current, not voltage
* unfortunately the voltage at diode2 (V2) is influenced by your Opamp circuit.
* the shown circuit makes: Vout = V1 + (V1 - V2), which is 2V1 - V2.

So indeed your post#6 doesn't give the answers to my questions.

Klaus

4tuty

my expected output voltage is 0 to 4 volts. my reference PD output voltage will always be 3.8 to 4.1 volt, and test PD is swing between 0.9 to 3.1 volt. I am using photo darlington(PD) op560cView attachment op560a.pdf, LED is irl81aView attachment IRL 81A, Lead (Pb) Free Product - RoHS Compliant-335091.pdfView attachment ina118.pdf.

Can I use this circuit given in this website? light from my reference and test fiber optic sensor to get differenced output.

can i use the first configuration?

or can i use INA 118 with Rg=50kohm (gain = 1), by taking volltage from 10kohm resistor between PD.

or can you suggest any other simple circuit.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.