Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is keil better or IAR for STM32 (CORTEX M3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embedded_Geek

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone suggest me as to which one is better for STM32 (keil or IAR).

ALso their comparison if possible.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Last edited:
IAR has a better editor and compiler, but Keil has a much better simulator and debugger. I think if you are to go with ARM, Keil is better solution, much more suited for ARM MCUs (Keil was acquired by ARM company some years ago) and with reduced learning time compared to IAR. If you are new to ARM, I think your peripheral routines (SPI, UART etc) will be set more quickly with Keil, because of the advanced debugging tools. Another discussion on this:

Keil arm VS. IAR Arm - Sonsivri

Last edited:
A bit off-topic, but keep in mind both are not free of charge and offer free binary code up to xxKB for evaluation/private use only.
You could consider to use a completely free environment like GNU together with a free GUI like Eclipse. If you don't need support and can go without some fancy features have a look at atollic.com for such a ready made environment, because it's a bit tricky to put them all together manually.

Happy coding!
Bastler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back