Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] is it possible to write a new bitfile to BPI Flash with FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port Map

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody!

I want to write a new bitstream to BPI flash through FPGA.
Assume that I have a board like ML605 that has a BPI flash and I want to send bitstream data from LAN(or any other way) to FPGA and write it on BPI flash.I think that after restarting the board, FPGA should be programmed by new bitstream! (My question is not about sending bitstream data to FPGA, It's about writing on BPI)

is there a method or solution for this work?
what about 7 series FPGAs?

Regard.

- - - Updated - - -

I think, I found the solution:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp518-isp-bpi-prom-virtex-6-pcie.pdf

Hi Port map,

Well, BPI mode is a mode that is dedicated to a flash memory connected to the jtag.
I think that you can use our PCIe ezdma to reprogram the flash through PCIe, and I think that there is a way using primitive module to "restart" a virtex7 that restart the BPI loading.
So, if your main design will contain a LAN (instead of PCIe) and a way to write in flash this memory, i think it should work.
Regards,
SBA

Hi Port map,

Well, BPI mode is a mode that is dedicated to a flash memory connected to the jtag.
I think that you can use our PCIe ezdma to reprogram the flash through PCIe, and I think that there is a way using primitive module to "restart" a virtex7 that restart the BPI loading.
So, if your main design will contain a LAN (instead of PCIe) and a way to write in flash this memory, i think it should work.
Regards,
SBA

So thanks PLDA_SBA.

I'm interested to know that Will PCIe configuration be lost after this mode of restart?

Hi Port Map,
Obviously yes, because the PCIe Base Adress Registers will be reset to their default value after a reloading.
So at this time you have two ways:
1) reboot your PC (that you want to do)
2) make an soft application that save the BAR content before reprogrammation and then rewrite them after the restart.

And if my mind is correct the Xilinx Vivado primitive is "ICAPE2"

BPI has nothing to do with programming via JTAG. BPI is for programming with a byte wide flash device, it stands for Byte-wide Peripheral Interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back