Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is It Possible TO Use This Type OF IGBT Module In Push-Pull CT configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmsat13

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please, my honourable friends in EDA, I need your help! This electronics of a thing sometimes push a guy from side to side an d man will be set dangling like a small teddy bear hanged on a car front roof!

I have been using IGBT singles in my inverters. Now I have access to disassembled Mitsubishi Powerrex IGBT modules, 200A/1200v, 300A/1200V and 400A/1200V.

I use Push-Pull Center-Tap configuration for conversion. As I gave the modules a close look and I begin to doubt it's application to my existing configuration. They seem to be made only for half bridge

Below, I attached the picture of the IGBT and its symbol, the diagram drawn in Proteus is the way my existing setup is. Please I beg you to find out if there is a way I can use the IGBT modules in that con figuration.

Then if it is nit possible to use it there, then can you suggest for me the possible modifications I will make so I can make use of the modules.

IGBT Connection.gif

Thanks.

Hi,

since C2 and E1 is connected inside the module i see no possibility to use it (both IGBTs) with your CT application.

Klaus

Additonally...
I see that in your P-P schematic that you are using a 12 V supply. The IGBTs will have a significant static voltage drop and reduce your efficiency easily 20%.

Maybe he could use one transistor in two modules.

not to mention those things are huge.

why not just use a few dollars worth of 100 amp mosfets?

Well I have seen that it can't be used unless in half bridge and H-Bridge configuration. The half bridge of a thing, they say it is more efficient and as I can see it the transformer will give me more in half bridge because the double winding (24-0-24 or 48-0-48) is not applicable.

I have not build an inverter based on half bridge, can anyone here direct me how to go about it especially how to size the two capacitors and high voltage boosting?

Thanks.

I think you're missing the point, which is that using 1200V IGBTs for a 12V inverter is inherently going to be inefficient, and you should use MOSFETs instead. That will give much more improvement than switching topologies to half bridge.

I think you're missing the point, which is that using 1200V IGBTs for a 12V inverter is inherently going to be inefficient, and you should use MOSFETs instead. That will give much more improvement than switching topologies to half bridge.

EXACTLY!
These modules are designed to be used in much larger things, like a 480 volt, 3 phase, 200Hp motor inverter. I haven't checked prices lately, but each of these modules may cost close to $300.

Here, many people use these modules, pulled out from old industrial equipment. Some modules have one transistor damaged. Two modules are used with using only one transistor in push-pull configuration. The other one is left unconnected with the benefit that if one transistor is destroyed in the span, the other is available free of cost. These still cost much higher than the regular FETs but people prefer it because of there big size, they look impressive and may withstand the wrong high current pulses in their faulty hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.