Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to use 2 cpu's for a single desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nm2007k

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i am a beginner. I have two cpu's. Is it possible to connect them and run my system faster.

Some CPUs already have multiple cores ( i.e. " core 2-duo" ). However, the processing alocation is implemented internaly at operational system.

+++

A single motherboard...

That´s a common architeture on PC market.
Take a search on the web.

+++

You can use only one CPU chip in your desktop computer. That CPU chip may have multiple processor like core2Duo have two processors on same chip in a single IC package. Motherboards designed for desktops have space for only one processor chip means you can use only one processor IC. Multiple processor ICs are found in server system not in desktop.

in short the answer is no

SOME motherboards have 2 CPU sockets , for example some servers have 2 , i used to have a dual 3.06Ghz Xenon system

if its just a desktop, HP, Acer, asus etc then the chances of it having the second socket is pretty much non-existant

in short the answer is no

if its just a desktop, HP, Acer, asus etc then the chances of it having the second socket is pretty much non-existant

there are some old desktop boards (like Asus D810) which have two sockets but at a time only one socket will be functional. so for the desktop PC is clearly NO at all.

yes,, it is possible to use two ( also mote than two) different system to increase speed.
but you can't increase speed of your operating system(windows).
you can make your own software which will work faster than one system.
it is called multicore proccesing.
you have to connect two or more than two system (LAN) through switch.
and there also some software available which use this kind of technology. these software use more processors which are ideal from LAN.( sarin technologies , diamond planner software)
make sure ..
you have to make your own software to work faster .( only your software will work fast.)

Why not just use 1 processor that has multiple cores? If you need speed go for a Phenom II X6 (6-core), Phenom II X4 (4-core), Phenom II X2 (2-core), core i3, core i5 or core i7.

for more than core i7 processor speed , we can make a program .
i mean to say we can increase speed by adding more than 2 system with i7 processor into LAN.
Why not just use 1 processor that has multiple cores? If you need speed go for a Phenom II X6 (6-core), Phenom II X4 (4-core), Phenom II X2 (2-core), core i3, core i5 or core i7.

Besides that, I can't imagine what anyone would do with or even need a core i7 990 for. So, for a desktop, I think, that is the king of the hill. If you need more speed, then, you're doing something a server would probably be better at. However, I don't think the OP needs that much power. Maybe he had a couple of CPUs lying around and just wanted to put them to use.

i am just saying that it is possible.
and we are using such system in our diamond industry, it is sarin technologies product. (Diamond Grading Tools - Sarin)
and we need that much of speed in this product for better production. as this machine is of 55 to 60 thousand US dollar.
and one of my friend has also make a project of this kind application. ( multicore proccesing)
but all these required very much high knowledge.
Besides that, I can't imagine what anyone would do with or even need a core i7 990 for. So, for a desktop, I think, that is the king of the hill. If you need more speed, then, you're doing something a server would probably be better at. However, I don't think the OP needs that much power. Maybe he had a couple of CPUs lying around and just wanted to put them to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back