Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Is it possible to turn on and off a bulb from any room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerimF

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Let us assume there is a house of 'N' rooms (for simplicity we let N=4).
The house has a light bulb at its entrance door.

The question is:
How the bulb can be connected to all rooms, in a simple way via switches (or alike but no circuits), so that one can turn on and off its light from any room?

The given info is:

(1) Only 2 free wires are available between two rooms.
(2) A room may have up to 4 free wires only (coming from its next two rooms).
(3) The mains (grid) wires are available in all rooms.

As you will see later, the main idea of the solution is the same for all N>2 (for N=2, I guess many of you already know the answer)

Cheers,

Kerim

Kerim

Are you considering 3-way switches ?

+++

I can´t see other way to perform that control without use of electronic components munted in a central unit like that :

**broken link removed**
+++

Originally Posted by KerimF
Isn't it for 2 rooms only, that is for N=2?
I mean, where are the other switches?

baraka42

what about this ?

Thank you... but please where are the mains two terminals (hot and neutral) ? :wink:

Kerim

That´s just a representative schema.
All switches are connected to logic level inputs ( reference + signal return ).

Just after last output will be designed driver to control the bulb.
You can use for example a Triac to do that.

+++

I can´t see other way to perform that control without use of electronic components munted in a central unit like that :
+++

Good work... but I am afraid there is a solution :oops:

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Kerim

That´s just a representative schema.
All switches are connected to logic level inputs ( reference + signal return ).

Just after last output will be designed driver to control the bulb.
You can use for example a Triac to do that.

+++

The idea of this question is to find out a way that any electrical technician can do it.

On your pic, the bulb is off... right?
In this case any switch can turn on the light... I agree with you.
Let us turn on the light by the left-most switch.
Can the right-most switch turn it off back? :wink:

Last edited:

Kerim,

good puzzle from you .

i think i can't sleep well today.

The mains (grid) wires mean hot wire or neutral wire ?

wbr

Last edited:

Kerim,

good puzzle from you .

i think i can't sleep well today.

The mains (grid) wires mean hot wire or neutral wire ?

wbr

Why not? :wink: It is your turn not to sleep well... why only me! :twisted:

You are right... hot and neutral (though some rooms may not need both but let us assume all have the two :wink: )

A "traveler" circuit with crossover respectively four-way switches is still the only solution, I assume.

A "traveller" circuit with crossover respectively four-way switches is still the only solution, I assume.

Please any reference, pic... etc.
I suppose electronics is not involved in what you propose, so if the solution schematic is seen by a technician, he can easily implement it for any number of rooms.

Just google "4 way switch wiring". There are lots of simplified drawings.

Here's one: 4 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams | Easy to read wiring diagrams for do-it-yourselfers.

Let us assume that one of the "4 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams" shown is easy to be understood and implemented by an amateur... what about N=5, N=6.....etc

By the way, I don't see 2 wires only between two consecutive switches as stated in post #1.

Do you I try google also for N>4, say "10 way switch wiring" for example? :wink:

A "traveler" circuit with crossover respectively four-way switches is still the only solution, I assume.

The control performed at that topology is intended to change lamp status only when user cross each room sequentially.
I may be wrong, but KerimF is asking for a control wich change lamp status by changing any switch.

+++

The control performed at that topology is intended to change lamp status only when user cross each room sequentially.
I may be wrong, but KerimF is asking for a control wich change lamp status by changing any switch.
It seems like you didn't understand the operation of this elementary circuit. Of cause you can change the lamp status by operating any switch.
By the way, I don't see 2 wires only between two consecutive switches as stated in post #1.
In fact, there is a problem of clarity with your initial post. But in my understanding, the circuit is exactly correspending to your specification. Perhaps you have special drawing styles in mind? There's however no other solution, as far as I'm aware of.
Do you I try google also for N>4, say "10 way switch wiring" for example?
It's pretty clear, that the well-known 3-way/4-way circuit can be extended to any number of switches. What are you asking for?

P.S.: Although the circuit is drawn with one 4-way switch, the extension option is clearly explained here.
For more than two locations, two of the interconnecting wires must be passed through an intermediate switch, wired to swap them over. Any number of intermediate switches can be inserted, allowing for any number of locations. This requires two wires along the sequence of switches.
Multiway switching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
FvM

The link you posted above is very clear and helpfull; and also proof that is possible achieve the feature he asked for.

+++

Reactions: KerimF

KerimF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back